Thursday, February 25, 2016

How Dark & Light Wall Colors Affect a Photo & Before & After

Good afternoon, Friends! 

 Many of you comment on my dark teal wall.  You either want to know the name of the wall color or you ask me why I sometimes choose a dark wall to stage my furniture. Well, the name of the color is "Deep Blue Ocean" by Clark + Kensington from Ace Hardware. Before I explain, have a look at the first four photos below.

Two are on the teal wall and two are on a very light blue wall.





What is the first thing you notice?  I staged this antique server the same, mostly. 


Now, keep in mind, the time of day is different as well.  The teal photo photos were taken around 5:00 p.m and the light wall photos were taken around noon. The time of day will also greatly affect the light / colors / glare / shadows. The light wall is on the north side of the room while the teal is on the south wall. 

The first thing my eye notices is the dramatic notch kicks in a whole lot more with the dark wall.  It causes the deep colors to look more severe and the white to really pop!  The light wall photos almost have a more shabby chic look. The whole photo is more muted and calm.  



Since I sell my furniture on my Etsy shop, The Turquoise Iris,  my photos are crucial to my business.  The color and style of my furniture piece will determine which wall I use to stage and photograph. Often, I will set up on one wall and move right over to the other after I see the pictures.



My advise is to be adventurous.  The only rules are the ones you make yourself! 


I also love hearing comments from you about being able to recognize my photos right away without even seeing my watermark first.  Find something that sets you apart from the rest of us.  For me, my teal wall is one of those things. 

Before & After


My client purchased this antique server on Etsy and had it shipped to me to paint.  Now that I'm finished, I'll be shipping on to him in Waco.  He told me it was my best work to date! 

I guess he loves it, huh??!?

I'm working on a post about staging.  I'll show you one piece of furniture, staged three different ways. Stay tuned!!!

~Dionne

No comments:

Post a Comment